* This is for the students who are selected for the 2022 convocation.
Scheme for Awarding Gold Medals for “Excellence in Research” in MPhil and PhD Programs Administered by the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS), University of Sri Jayewardenepura
The scheme for research awards is expected to achieve the following objectives:
- To recognize the most outstanding graduates of the FGS in terms of excellence in research in MPhil and PhD programs annually.
- To encourage students of the FGS to excel in research performance in their postgraduate studies.
It is the general policy of the FGS to select the most outstanding graduates who have excelled in undertaking research for the Postgraduate Degree, for the award. The selection policy is based on the following principles:
- The award shall be conferred on the basis of the research performance of the candidates based on the selection criteria stipulated in Section 4 below.
- Only candidates who meet the eligibility criteria will be considered for the awards.
- Two Gold medals for each study board, i.e., one for MPhil program and one for PhD program.
- Any form of canvassing will be a disqualification to be considered for the awards.
3. Eligibility Criteria
The following indicates the eligibility criteria:
- The candidate must satisfy the requirements of completing a postgraduate degree (i.e., MPhil/PhD) offered by the FGS of University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
- The candidate should have completed the MPhil degree within three (3) years, while the PhD degree within four (4) years from the effective date of registration.
- Letter of recommendation from the Principal Research Supervisor should be submitted, which provides an assessment of the candidates contribution to advancement of knowledge, originality, creativity and innovation, compliance with ethical norms in research and the potential for undertaking research of national significance.
- Evidence for proper conduct of research, e.g. submission of progress reports on time (to be verified by the FGS via the candidate’s file)
- The candidate must have at least an index journal publication* or a patent as an outcome of the research degree for which this application relates.
*Indexing services considered:
- Science Citation Index ExpandedTM (Web of Science)
- Social Sciences Citation Index (Web of Science)
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science)
- Emerald Insight
- Cabell’s International
- The minimum marks (see Section 4.1 below) should be,
- MPhil: 8 marks
- PhD: 12 marks
- A Summary of the major findings of the research carried out (within 300 to 500 words)
- CV of the candidate
- Evidence of the marks claimed (see Section 4.1 below)
4. Award Selection Criteria
The excellence of research performance of the candidate in the postgraduate degree program is measured by using the following criteria:
- Number of Published indexed journal papers
- Number of Patents
- Number of Published conference papers
- Number of Published abstracts
- Number of Best Oral Presentation Awards/ Poster Awards
- Number of Other Recognized national or international research awards.
4.1 Marking Scheme
|No.||Criteria and Descriptions||Marks||Remarks|
|1.||Indexed Paper Publications (based on postgraduate research study of the applicant)||5 marks per paper||No limit|
|2||Patents (patents should be outcome of the postgraduate research study of the applicant3)||5 marks per patent||No limit|
|3||Peer reviewed paper publications (in international or national – not indexed journals)||3 marks per paper||No limit|
|4||Peer reviewed conference paper publications (a full paper published in international or national conference proceedings)||2 marks per paper||Max. 6 marks|
|5||Abstract Publications4||1 mark per abstract||Max. 5 marks|
|6||Conference best oral presentation awards/poster awards (awards in national or international conferences)||3 marks per award||No limit|
|7||Other recognized national or international research awards||5 marks per award||No limit|
- Full marks will be allocated if the candidate is the first author; and if not the first author, the marks will be allocated among the authors.
- Evidence of the marks claimed should be submitted.
- Candidate’s research outcome will be assessed on the basis of patents or any form of intellectual property protection.
- Abstracts claimed under category 1 and 3 will not be considered for the criterion 4.
5. Selection committee
The selection committee as given below is appointed by the Board of Graduate Studies of the FGS:
- The Dean of the FGS (who will be the Chairperson)
- Chairpersons of the Board of Studies
- Two Emeritus Professors (non-members of the Board of Graduate Studies)
- Two Nominated Members of the Board of Graduate Studies
6. Procedure for Selection
- Examine all the applications received and reject those which do not meet eligibility criteria.
- On the basis of the assessment, prepare a list of eligible candidates in the descending order.
- Select the candidates who have obtained the highest marks in the respective postgraduate degree programs (MPhil and PhD) for the awards.
- Submit the decision of the selection committee to the Board of Graduate Studies for approval.
7. Sponsorship of Awards
Financial contribution for the awards is to be borne by the FGS.
Deadline for the applications – 30th June 2022
All the applications must be handed over to the Dean’s Office of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Sri Jayewardenepura. Applications received by post will not be accepted.🔥538