Two year Masters Degrees by research are offered in a multitude of subject areas including Anthropology, Criminology, Political Science, Sociology, Economics, Geography, Archeology and History. It is compulsory for all students to follow a 30 hour course unit on ‘Research Methodology and Scientific Writing’ offered by the Faculty of Graduate Studies before formulating the research proposal and proceeding with the research. The students are expected to have at least 80% attendance for the “Research Methodology and Scientific Writing” course.
To be eligible for admission to this program an applicant must possess one of the following qualifications;
• A Bachelors Honors Degree of Level 6 with a minimum of 30 credits in the relevant field
• A Bachelors Honors Degree of Level 6 with a minimum of 30 credits in a related field and a successful completion of a qualifying examination
• A Bachelors Degree of level 5 with a minimum GPA of 3 and successful completion of a qualifying examination which will be conducted after completion of 30 credits equivalent to SLQF 6 in the same or related field
• A Bachelor’s Degree of level 5 with a minimum of 3 years experience in the relevant field
• One year MA by teaching and research from a recognized university
• Completion of NVQ Level 7 with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and successful completion of a qualifying examination which will be conducted after completion of 30 credits equivalent to SLQF Level 6 or 7 as determined by the University.
Course Duration: 2 years.
Medium of Instruction: Sinhala / English
Evaluation and Award of the Degree
The evaluation criteria for the Degree is similar to that for higher research degrees as shown in Section 2 of the Handbook.
First years fees should be paid at the time of initial registration. At each extension of registration in subsequent years due payment need to be effected.