The Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice at the University of Sri Jayewardenepura is dedicated to enhance the quality of graduates by creating various educational avenues similar to the Postgraduate Diploma in Criminology and Criminal Justice.
The postgraduate student who completes the degree will be able to;
• Upgrade the theoretical knowledge of Criminology and Criminal Justice;
• Facilitate and promote crime control and prevention strategies;
• Identify crime patterns and spatial distribution of crimes and
• Reduce the fear of crime prevailing in a given community.
Professional and Employment Opportunities
Employees in the fields of police, prisons, probation, excise, armed forces and the judicial services will be highly benefited as this Diploma has gained a recognition in their respective promotion schemes. The knowledge gained in the Diploma will be highly beneficial to those who would like to seek employment in the police, prisons, probation, excise, armed forces and the judicial service related area.
To be eligible for admission to this program an applicant must possess one of the following qualifications;
• Bachelor’s Degree with 30 credits in the subject areas including criminology, criminal justice.
• Bachelor’s Degree and work experience in the fields of police, prisons, excise, armed forces, judicial service and other related fields
Course Duration: One year
Medium of Instruction: Sinhala and English
Candidate’s performance at each course unit is assessed and graded through theory examinations and continuous assessments during and at the end of the semester. Maximum marks that can be obtained is 30% for the continuous assessments with written or other examinations.. The pass mark is 50% and candidate should pass all the course units.
Repeating the course units
A candidate who is unable to sit or fail the course unit can repeat the examination. Except medical reasons the maximum mark that can be obtained is 50%. For further details please refer paragraph under “Repeating the course units” in page 29.
Awarding the Post Graduate Diploma
Candidate should pass all the courses and should possess a minimum GPA of 2.7 for a total of at least 25 credits worth courses. A merit pass will be given if the overall average exceeds 70%.
The full amount of the course fee should be paid at the time of registration.